Ontario is in a housing crisis.
It's practically impossible for families and individuals to find an affordable place to rent in our city, and if they are in an affordable unit, it is getting harder to keep it and not get evicted for bogus reasons.
Here are five urgent changes we need now:
- Stabilize rents by making it illegal for landlords to raise the rent in between tenants beyond provincial guideline increases.
- Introduce a speculation and vacancy tax on those who don’t pay taxes in Ontario and who own houses they don’t live in, plus increase the Non-Resident Speculation Tax to 20 per cent, and apply it province-wide.
- Change zoning rules so that developers in Toronto are forced to build more affordable housing in every major development, not just near major transit hubs, and so that multi-unit homes — like duplexes and townhouses — are allowed in all neighbourhoods.
- Allow municipalities to shift property taxes onto properties worth more than $2 million and shift the tax burden onto the most fortunate.
- Immediately commit to funding the building of at least 99,000 affordable housing and supportive housing units.
Add your name to support the NDP's Housing Plan now.